We love a hot breakfast at our house. So being gluten-free means we must find a good gluten-free pancake recipe! Here is the best I have found…it’s pretty darn close to the real thing!
- 3 cups GF flour mix (I recommend my personal blend ( recipe below**) or Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur)
- 1/2 C dry buttermilk powder (Optional- this will give you fluffier pancakes, but can be eliminated if you need to be dairy-free. Just add 1/2 C less water.)
- 2 Tbsp sweetener – I like to use coconut palm sugar. Any sugar (or honey or maple syrup) works.
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (IMPORTANT!! If you use a pre-made blend, check the label to see if it already contains xanthan gum. If it does, do not add this xanthan gum!! Your pancakes will be gummy!)
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 C oil
- 4 C Water (or 3 1/2 C if you didn’t use buttermilk).
Mix all dry ingredients until thoroughly blended. Add eggs and oil. Add water a cup at a time until all the flour mixture is incorporated and wet. Grease your pan/griddle well and cook on medium heat. Makes about twenty 4-5 inch pancakes. I like to serve them with almond butter on top for extra protein (for the kids that will eat them that way). We also sometimes mix maple syrup with frozen blueberries in the food processor to make a tasty blueberry syrup. Enjoy!
**Gluten Free Flour Blend:
- 2 C Brown Rice Flour
- 1/3 C Tapioca Flour/Starch (same thing)
- 2/3 C Potato Starch (NOT Potato Flour)